President Donald J. Trump Is Working to Modernize and Improve Influenza Vaccines
MODERNIZING INFLUENZA VACCINES: President Donald J. Trump is safeguarding public health by helping ensure Americans have access to effective influenza vaccines.
- Today, President Trump signed an executive order to modernize influenza vaccines and help protect more Americans through vaccination.
- At President Trump’s direction, the Administration will work to promote new technologies to improve vaccine manufacturing and effectiveness.
- This will reduce reliance on more time-consuming, egg-based vaccine production.
- Improving the speed of production will enable experts to better match vaccines to actively circulating viruses, an important piece of making the vaccines more effective.
- The Administration will advance the development of new, more effective vaccines.
- The Trump Administration will also work to increase Americans’ access to vaccines by reducing barriers to seasonal flu vaccine services.
- To help put these objectives into action, President Trump is establishing a task force to identify policy priorities and monitor progress.
PROTECTING LIVES THROUGH PREVENTION: Influenza vaccines are vitally important to disease prevention, yet current production methods need to be improved.
- Influenza vaccines are the best way to save lives, reduce the illness severity, and prevent influenza infections in the first place.
- It is especially important to be able to rapidly produce well-matched influenza vaccines using scalable technologies in the event of a future influenza pandemic.
- Despite their important role in safeguarding the health of the American people, influenza vaccines are currently produced using more time-consuming, egg-based technology.
- More rapid non-egg-based production methods would give experts more time to select the most relevant strains.
PROMOTING PUBLIC HEALTH: Improving the influenza vaccine is part of President Trump’s longstanding effort to combat public health threats and promote quality care for all Americans.
- President Trump has released a National Biodefense Strategy and a Global Health Security Strategy to help combat biological threats and pandemics.
- President Trump has made it a priority to increase the quality and accessibility of care for American patients.